11.7.08

objective number one

When I step up to any instrument I am about to play, I ask myself, is the stuff I am about to play going to be warm and rich in tone and pleasing to the ear?

warm

rich

tone.

That is our first objective. Why? Because there are a few ideas at work.

Music, is a great and wonderful power of expression. Expression, no matter its form is a human concept. This idea that one person can communicate what they are experiencing to another. Usually, the something that is being communicated is an emotional image.

Think of some emotions:

fear

joy

sorrow

"that floating feeling that sends chills down your back and goose-bumps down your arm"

these words are expressions of something bigger than the words themselves. However, we who speak English understand the limits of what these words can express. So when speaking them, we add tone and emphasis to portray these words in expressional ways.

If I say "I am mad" with a light and cheery tone...there is something ironic about my expression.... it's ambiguous.

It begs the question, "Is he really saying anything?"

If I say "I am happy", however, with a light and cheery tone...my expression is clear...no ambiguity

This same concept applies to playing an instrument.

If I approach an instrument, say...a marimba... with metal pipes in my hand and smash a low octave D major... there is something ironic about what I am doing...it's ambiguous

It begs the question, "Is he really trying to play a D major or is he trying to destroy that marimba"

Now sure...people use all types of implements to express tones in percussion. But, more often than not, the novice percussionist seems more of a demolition man than a percussionist.

For sake of this specific example, the marimba was designed to make specific tones and sounds within a given range.

If I approach a marimba with a dense rubber mallet, and rather than smashing a low octave D major, I lightly strike the bar and pull the mallet up as if gravity no longer applies to my hand and wrist... my expression is clear. We will hear a low octave D major (hopefully).

Now sure, because I used a dense implement to strike a bar designed to be struck with a felt covered mallet, what we will hear could be defined as a harsh or staccato sound. Short, abrupt and somewhat offensive.

But I promise you, I have the same goal in mind, no matter the implement...be it hard rubber or soft felt...

my goal is this:

warm

rich

tone

--------

To see kind of what I am talking about, click the lesson title and watch the video performance.

No comments: